This Egg Boil Recipe TikTok went viral and for good reason. Jammy eggs swim in a spicy, lemony, delicious broth that makes for a quick lunch or snack.
Table of Contents
- How to make the TikTok Egg Boil recipe
- How to make seafood boil sauce
- How to boil egg
- Best seasoning for eggs
When I first stumbled upon the viral TikTok egg boil recipe, I was skeptical. Now, I’m ashamed of my skepticism because I am a full on fan.
The broth comes together literally in minutes, and is so tasty you will want to enjoy every morsel soaked up with rice or with bread.
There are so many different versions of seafood boils, and many regions and cultures enjoy a seafood boil with eggs.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links, at no extra cost to you.
So actually, this egg boil recipe makes total sense. All the amazing spice and flavor of a seafood broth, but sans seafood. A cheaper, more accessible, vegetarian version.
I love how fast this recipe comes together, making it great for any meal on a busy day. Yes, I have eaten this for breakfast.
Not a fan of jammy eggs? No problem. Simply cook them longer and hard boil them.
This only requires a handful of ingredients, and most are probably already in your pantry. You can customize the boil to suit your taste buds, but know that this version is deeply flavorful and somewhat spicy.
- Jammy eggs: Soft boiled eggs are little flavor nuggets soaking up all that delicious broth. For a wonderfully jammy egg, boil them for 7 minutes and then place in an ice bath. Whaddup egg boi.
- Unsalted butter: Since you’re getting salt from the broth and seasoning mixes, use an unsalted butter. I’ve seen a lot of egg boil recipes that use a ton of butter, but I don’t really think it’s necessary. 1 tablespoon will do.
- Minced garlic: Garlic sauteed in melted butter- is that you, God?
- Broth: We used a homemade chicken broth, but store bought will do just fine. Feel free to use vegetable broth to keep it vegetarian.
- Seasonings: This is where it gets lit. Onion powder, Old Bay, lemon pepper seasoning, paprika, ground black pepper and chili flakes are our seasonings of choice for this. Be sure to check your Old Bay and lemon pepper seasoning to see if they already have salt. Most do, and if so, they will provide plenty of salt to the broth, so no need to add extra salt.
- Brown sugar: Just a touch of sweetness helps balance things out.
How to make the TikTok Egg Boil recipe
The first step is to make our jammy eggs. Prepare a medium-sized bowl with cold water and a bunch of ice. Set this aside while you get your eggs going.
Bring a pot of water to a boil and then gently lower the eggs in using a spoon, measuring cup, or strainer. Set your timer for 7 minutes.
Pro tips: at this point I reduce the heat slightly so it’s still boiling but the eggs aren’t jumping out of the pot.
Additionally, it’s tempting to put your eggs into the water before it’s boiling. Don’t do it! This means your eggs will cook longer than 7 minutes, meaning no jammy egg.
After 7 minutes, remove your eggs and gently place them in the ice bath. Let them chill for a few minutes, and now it’s time to peel.
I find peeling eggs to be a huge pain, but a trick I’ve learned is to gently crack at the bottom to get the egg going. Next, peel it under slowly running water. The water wedges its way in and helps the shell come off easier. Magic.
Set your eggies aside and now it’s time to make the egg boil sauce recipe TikTok made famous. Melt your butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add your minced garlic, stir and cook for a couple minutes.
Next, throw in all of your seasoning, give another good stir and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Then you can add your broth.
Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 8 – 10 minutes. It will slightly reduce and thicken. Be sure to taste for seasoning.
Add your eggs to a bowl and pour that beautiful broth over. I highly recommend enjoying this with a nice crusty bread or some rice.
How to make seafood boil sauce
Melt butter, add seasonings, add broth, bring to a boil, and simmer.
How to boil egg
For a jammy egg, boil water, add eggs, and boil for 7 minutes.
Best seasoning for eggs
Seasonings include eggs with hot sauce, garlic, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Egg Boil Recipe TikTok
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Old Bay
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 cup chicken, vegetable or bone broth
- chopped parsley for garnish
- salt if needed
- Fill a medium bowl with cold water and some ice. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, bring water to a boil and gently lower 6 eggs in. Boil for 7 minutes for set whites and a runny yolk. Remove the eggs from the hot water and place in the ice bath. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Peel the eggs. Gently crack the bottom of the egg, and peel gently under slow running water. This will help them peel easily. Set aside while you prepare the broth.
- Heat your pot over medium heat and add butter to melt. Once melted, add your garlic. Saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add in all of the remaining seasoning, stir to combine, and cook for another minute. Next, pour in your broth. Increase to medium high, bring to a boil, and lower heat. Allow to simmer until slightly thickened, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning. Old Bay and lemon pepper seasonings usually contain salt, so only add salt if necessary.
- Place your eggs in a bowl and pour the sauce over. Gently turn them over to coat. Garnish with parsley. Enjoy with rice or crusty bread.