Not only will this copycat Chipotle steak recipe save you money, but it tastes even better than the real thing- bold, spicy, and smoky.
This Chipotle steak has all the same bold and spicy flavors of the chicken and steak at Chipotle. The incredibly delicious marinade comes together in just a few minutes with only a handful of ingredients.
Make your own Chipotle steak burrito bowl at home with pico de gallo, cilantro lime rice, corn salsa, guacamole, fresh cilantro, sour cream, and a squeeze of fresh lime.
Burrito bowls aren’t your only option for this flavorful steak recipe. Add this steak to quesadillas, burritos, tostadas, tacos, and more.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links, at no extra cost to you.
- Steak: We recommend using an inexpensive cut of steak like flat iron, sirloin, or round steak.
- Adobo sauce and chipotles: Use canned chipotles and the adobo sauce from the can.
- Olive oil: Chipotle uses rice bran oil, but since olive oil is more accessible, we’re using olive oil instead.
- Seasoning: Use dried oregano, ancho chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper for your seasoning. You can either buy whole dried ancho chilies and grind them up, or buy it already dried and ground.
How To Make Chipotle Steak
Let’s break down how we make this steak for your next steak rice bowls. Make the steak marinade by combining the adobo sauce, chipotles, ancho dried chilies, garlic cloves, oregano, cumin, and olive oil in a processor.
Place the steak in a shallow dish and use your hands to cover the marinade on all sides of the steak. Heavily salt and pepper each side.
If you will be cooking it soon, you can let the steak marinade at room temperature for 30 minutes or you can put it in the fridge for up to 12 hours.
Place your cast iron skillet on an eye, and turn the heat to high. Allow the skillet to get super hot, waiting about 4 minutes.
Add olive oil and then add your steak, pressing down gently to ensure everything is touching the skillet evenly. After a minute, flip and let sear for another minute. Next, flip every 30 seconds, still cooking at high heat.
After roughly 4 minutes has passed, your internal temp should be ideal for medium rare and at about 120 – 125 F. Don’t worry, it will cook more while it rests.
Let the steak rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes. Cut the medium rare steak into bite-sized pieces and enjoy in a taco, bowl, burrito, or more.
How To Reheat A Chipotle Burrito?
You can reheat a chipotle burrito by placing it in a preheated oven at 350 F on a sheet pan for about 10 minutes.
What Kind Of Steak Is Used At Chipotle?
Chipotle’s steak comes from all over- top rounds, inside round, knuckle, sirloin, ball tip, eye of rounds, and more.
How Is The Steak Cooked At Chipotle?
The steak at Chipotle is cooked using a method called sous vide. This is a method of slow cooking food, by sealing it in a vacuum sealed bag, and immersing it in warm water.
Does Chipotle Use Sirloin?
Yes, Chipotle uses sirloin as well as knuckle, inside round, top round, eye of rounds, and more.
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 2 whole chipotles
- 1 tsp dried ancho chili
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 lbs steak sirloin, flat iron, or round steak
- For the marinade, combine the garlic, adobo sauce, chipotles, dried ancho chili, oregano, cumin, and olive oil in a processor and blend until smooth. Add a little water if needed to fully blend.
- In a shallow dish, place steak and rub steak with the marinade. Heavily salt and pepper each side. Cover the plastic wrap and let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or in the fridge for up to 12 hours.
- Put cast iron skillet on skillet and turn to high. Allow to get hot, about 4 minutes. Add olive oil.
- Add steak, pushing down slightly to ensure even contact. Sear for 1 minute. Flip and then sear for another minute. Keep cooking on high, flipping every 30 seconds.
- When steak as developed a dark crust and slightly shrunk in size, about 4 minutes total, check for doneness. The meat should feel slightly soft but not squishy. For medium-rare, 120 – 125 F is ideal.
- Remove steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.