The Sailor Sandwich is a beloved culinary gem. Its storied history and delectable combination of ingredients make it a must-try for locals and visitors alike.
What is a Sailor Sandwich?
The Sailor Sandwich is a traditional Virginia delight, typically found in local delis and eateries across Virginia. It’s a hearty and flavorful creation consisting of thinly sliced ham, cheese, tomato, lettuce, and a unique touch—coleslaw. The ingredients are snugly packed between slices of bread, creating a harmonious medley of flavors and textures.
Richmond, known for its rich history and diverse culinary scene, boasts several establishments that serve up this iconic sandwich. From cozy delis to bustling eateries, various spots in Richmond offer their take on the classic Sailor Sandwich, providing a taste of local tradition and flavors.
How Many Calories Are In This?
The calorie count for a Sailor Sandwich can vary depending on the ingredients and portion sizes. On average, a standard Sailor Sandwich can range from 400 to 600 calories, making it a satisfying meal option.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links, at no extra cost to you.
Virginia has several signature dishes. Among these, the Sailor Sandwich holds a special place as a go-to choice for locals seeking a fulfilling and delicious meal. Its popularity extends beyond the state, drawing in food enthusiasts eager to savor a true Virginian delight.
Where to Find the Best Sailor Sandwich?
Several establishments across Richmond are renowned for their exceptional Sailor Sandwiches. From classic delis to modern cafes, each place adds its unique touch to this traditional recipe, giving patrons a chance to explore various versions of this iconic dish.
The Sailor Sandwich stands as a testament to Virginia’s culinary prowess, offering a delightful blend of flavors and a unique combination that captures the essence of Richmond’s food culture.
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 oz pastrami or as much as your heart desires
- 1 knockwurst
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- Brown deli mustard
- Butter each slice of bread on one side. Flip over and spread mustard on both pieces of bread.
- Cut the knockwurst almost the way in half lengthwise, so it opens like a book.
- Heat a cast iron over medium heat. Once hot, add knockwurst, cut end down, until browned, about 3 minutes. Flip and grill the other side until the casing blisters slightly. Remove from heat.
- Place pile of pastrami on the bread. Top with Swiss cheese, the grilled knockwurst, and final slice of bread.
- Lower the heat slightly. Carefully place sandwich on the hot cast iron and grill until side is brown, about 3 – 4 minutes. Flip and cover with a lid or sheet pan. (This will help the cheese melt). Remove when other side is browned.